4 – Network & Interruption Testing. This activity is needed when your mobile app is used across a variety of networks – cellular, WIFI, Ethernet wired, etc – or your mobile app interfaces with an IoT device and you create or change the network connectivity or network data load in your mobile app.
- What are the required networks and optional networks?
- How big are the data payloads and how frequently are they transmitted/received on the network?
- How frequently does the IoT firmware update?
- How does the mobeil app behave when a connection is dropped and then reconnected? Succeed, Fail gracefully, or crash?
- How does the mobile app behave when connectivity is lost? Succeed, Fail gracefully, or crash?
5 – Cross Device Testing. This activity is needed if your users have a variety of mobile devices. Most think this is just iOS and Android but iPhones behave differently than iPads and Samsung mobile phones behave differently than Hauwei phones. Even iPhones with iOS9 behave slightly different than those with iOS10!
- What is the list of devices your customers use?
- What is the list of mobile operating systems your customers use?
- Where can you get real mobile devices for testing?
- Will a mobile device simulator work OK for your mobile app?
6 – Usability Testing. This activity is needed if you are uncertain about a work flow within your mobile app or are seeing frequent user problems reported to Support.
- What are the workflows your users expect and use?
- How do your users actually use your app? Walking or sitting? Casual or focused? Fast paced/quick or slow /deliberate?
- Where do workflows cause bottlenecks, confusion or frustration?
- Where can easy changes have a big impact and where are the hard changes that will take more time to fix?
These Six Mobile App Testing strategies are the starting point for TESTCo’s Mobile App Testing Services. Hopefully, this short menu will provide you with an easy way to determine if your mobile app needs any of the different types of testing. The strategy questions can also help you determine if you have enough information to perform that testing successfully. Please don’t try to run one of these Testing Strategies with incomplete information!
Give us a call and ask a bunch of questions. We’re happy to share what we know and do – just ask! And, if you find that you’d rather rely on the professional instead of doing it yourself, we’d be happy to pitch in and help.