Mobile application testing is similar to software testing.
But, it’s also a little different in a couple of key areas.
Not every software testing company will know these key areas well enough to do a good job as a mobile application testing company.
Where to start?
There are many mobile application testing company choices available to you. What should you consider and where should you start to make your selection?
- Clearly define your quality goal and your budget for time and dollars. This will help whoever you select to build an accurate proposal/estimate. There will always be more QA work that is needed but business decisions drive mobile software projects. Time and money are key constraints that limit what can be done.
- Mobile application testing experience is critical. Mobile application testing is different than testing regular software and requires different tools, patterns and methods. Likewise, mobile application developers are seldom a good choice for testing your mobile application. Software test engineers are your best choice.
- The size and recency of the device and emulator library will dictate how successful a mobile application testing company can be for you. The wide variety of mobile devices and operating systems dictates that you make two wise choices.
- Which devices and operating systems are most important to you and your customers?
- Which devices does your mobile application testing company actually have? When a particular device/operating system is not available, an emulator must be used instead. Emulators are useful for some testing but almost always fail to provide the complete testing coverage that most modern mobile applications require
The Cost of a Bad Choice
You must already be convinced that testing your mobile application is important and needed – as evidenced by your visiting this page.
Congrats! Some of your competitors either don’t bother to test their mobile application or do it poorly.
Don’t believe me? Just download one of them and see how long it takes before you can crash it. Not long, right?
Here are the big costs you need to avoid when selecting your mobile application testing company.
- Price Vs Cost – in software testing, you really do get what you pay for. Low rates/prices are the teaser and longer projects, poor defects, missed coverage and blown out deadlines are the true cost. Compare their calculated project cost instead of the hourly rates. Then, get a money-back guarantee to make double sure. Even better, get a fixed price for your project.
- Talent Vs Availability – not everyone is a talented Test Engineer. In fact, most “testers” aren’t engineers at all. If your problem can be solved by “just get it tested” then almost anyone will do – and there are plenty of those folks out there. If your goal is “on time with zero defects” then you’ll need talent – Test Engineer talent and QA Manager Talent. And yes, the price for a Test Engineer is higher but see #1 above.
The Keys to Successful Mobile Application Testing
The three key areas where mobile app testing differs from software testing are:
- Faster and Simpler – mobile application projects are usually faster to start and complete since they are smaller and more focused. Applications on mobile devices are also usually simpler in functionality than software applications due to limited screen real estate and uncertain connectivity.
- Experience and Completion – mobile apps typically focus more heavily on the user experience than most software applications. Also, clear evidence that the transactions made in your mobile application have been completed are more important due to the tendency of mobile applications to lose network connectivity.
- All Those Different Devices – software applications and (most) web applications run in a web browser on a desktop operating system. There are a finite number of operating systems and web browsers that need to be tested against a software or web browser application. There is an almost infinite number of mobile operating systems/browser combinations – definitely more than you could possibly test.
With these three big differences in mind, can you see how selecting the right mobile application testing company might be important in the success of your mobile application project?
Questions for Your Next Mobile Application Testing Company
Here are some great questions to ask when you’re shopping around for a company to test your mobile application.
- With our very fast sprints, how will you design your testing strategy to help us increase our speed?
- Since we have very simple functionality, how much and what type of testing do you propose to make sure we achieve our goal of Zero Defects?
- What strategy do you propose to test the usability of our mobile application?
- How will you test and validate transaction completion and notification? How will you test graceful failures?
- What is your strategy to help us figure out which devices to test on and which devices that an emulator should be OK?
- Is hard device testing necessary or will a tool or emulator be sufficient? Which tools/emulators do you recommend and why?
- Where does test automation fit into your strategy and why do you recommend it?
Mobile application testing is similar to but different enough from traditional software testing that a slightly different approach to selecting the best mobile application testing company can mean the difference between your success and failure.
Want to talk with someone at TESTCo about how we’d test your mobile app? Most clients, at first, aren’t even sure how much testing will be necessary. We will give very practical advice in the first call. Call and talk to me personally. 888.254.9709 Or, click the green button on this page to schedule a call back.